Monday, August 15, 2011

Post PORTRAITS

The opening of Portraits was such a great success!

I’m proud to say 4 oil paintings and a number of water colours were sold prior to the show’s opening (Friday August 5th) which meant I had sold close to $5,000 before I had even walked through the door!


By the end of the night there were only a hand full of works left – about 8 out of the total 34 (oil paintings, water colours, drawings and mixed media portraits based around 5 sitters – including myself) And more have sold over this weekend. I never expected my work to be so well received. I am so pleased.

Opening night

Let me set the scene for those that couldn’t make it: Walking through the red front doors of Magazine Gallery you are first struck by the black bold text on the white opposing wall reading ‘PORTRAITS. An exhibition by Ruby Chew’. Painted below is a small red poppy which leads your eyes left to the large mural covering the whole left wall – circles of black, brown and orange, wilting flowers and bright red poppies that make up the pattern that runs throughout all the artworks. I liked the idea that people could stand in front of the mural and ‘become the artwork.’ The jazz band was wearing black clothing with cravats featuring the squiggly black on white design, hand painted, that also runs throughout the art works. These cravats were also worn by those working for the gallery on the night – bar staff and manager. I wore an outfit made by Hot Couture which I also hand painted this squiggly pattern on.

I wanted to emphasize the imagery; the visual links that run through the art works - by incorporating them into the evening. This is something I like to do for every show I have. For me, making a body of work is about everything coming together, particularly at opening night. This quote from Lady Gaga really taps into what I was and am thinking about when I make art, and challenges me to push these boundaries of art, artist and viewer further.


With Joy from Hot Couture



When I'm writing music, I'm thinking about the clothes I want to wear on stage. It's all about everything altogether—performance art, pop performance art, fashion. For me, it's everything coming together and being a real story… I want the imagery to be so strong that fans will want to eat and taste and lick every part of us.

Gaga is a character that is so well constructed and I find that immensely interesting.


Here are some photos from the night. There are so many, to view more please click here. I have posted a few of my favourites.

Photos by Ben McPherson:








Photos by Katherine Botten c/o Five Thousand:

Please 'like' my artist page on facebook to keep up to date with my practice!


A huge thank you to all the amazing support I recieved from my family, friends and models! Could not have pulled this off with out you! Special mentions go out to Rose, Lucy, Jaq, Daryl, Rod, Tom, Lucy Beth, Stav and Rohan.



Ruby x

No comments:

Post a Comment